Mission, Vision and Themes
The 1890 Cooperative Extension System assists diverse audiences, with emphasis on those who have limited social and economic resources, to improve the quality of life and vitality of individuals and communities through transformational engagement and outreach education.
The 1890 Extension System is the premier provider of transformational university engagement and outreach education to underserved and diverse audiences, which promote sustainable economies, environments, communities and families.
The 1890 Extension programs focus on five core themes. All of the 1890 institutions are delivering educational programs in the broad areas listed below. The themes allow AEA to be able to aggregate programming impact across the 1890 region. The themes are:
- Nutrition, Health and Wellness of Individuals, Families and Communities
- Economic Prosperity and Well-Being of Rural and Urban Underserved Communities
- Community, Youth and Family Resilience/Sustainability
- Environment, Natural Resources and Renewable Energy
- Agricultural Profitability and Sustainability of Small-Scale Farms